CREAMY VEGAN MAC & CHEESE
No, it isn’t cheese…even though it kind of looks like it. Instead, it’s a creamy, flavourful alternative to the dairy stuff that will leave you richly satisfied in your decision to leave the cows alone :)
I always feel bad when a non-vegan tastes vegan “cheese” for the first time. Like, how can this stuff be described except to call it a cheese alternative? We all know that, in reality, not a single one of the veg “cheese” alternatives out there tastes like real cheese.
Therefore, may I introduce you to not-real-cheese-but-still-delicious-creamy-yellow-sauce-over-macaroni??
Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz box of pasta
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 3 heaping cups cauliflower
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional addition: steamed broccoli
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Place raw cashews into a bowl. Pour boiling water over raw cashews and soak for 1 hour. After, drain and rinse the cashews.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package. After, drain and rinse the pasta. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and carrots. Boil for 8-12 minutes or until soft.
- Combine soaked cashews, boiled cauliflower and carrots, almond milk, lemon juice, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheese sauce over the cooked pasta. Stir until fully incorporated.
Optional: toss in steamed broccoli. Serve immediately. Enjoy
See how we made it.